Wednesday 12 March 2008

My DVD Shelf #5

Wednesday 12 March 2008

No, I haven't forgotten about this DVD Shelf feature -- where I painstakingly list every disc in my collection before Blu-Ray takes over, and because I've started renting films. It's just going to be carefully spread out, and not rushed.

So anyway, here's my fifth shelf's contents:

Escape From New York (1981, dir John Carpenter) I really like the dark and gritty vibe this film gives off, the premise is wonderful, and Kurt Russell gives an iconic performance. But, does anyone else get slowly bored once Snake Plissken actually arrives in New York? I bought this mainly because it was dirt cheap in HMV.

E.T – The Extra-Terrestrial (1982, dir Steven Spielberg) Undoubtedly a modern-day classic and this was a family favourite back in the late-80s for me, but these days I do find it takes awhile to get going – although the emotional punch of the last act still elicits a tear or two. This DVD release was a special edition containing the CGI-tinkered anniversary edition, and the untouched original.

The Evil Dead (1981, dir Sam Raimi) I bought this with the other two Evil Dead films and it's not my favourite. Its genesis and iconography as part of the 80s "video nasty" scene lends it a certain cult appeal, but it's too cheapo and schlocky-looking for my taste. I much prefer…

Evil Dead II
(1987, dir Sam Raimi) .. the excellent sequel/remake, which really gets down to business and is riveting, scary and funny in equal measure. A superb horror-comedy with a powerhouse physical performance from Bruce Campbell.

Fight Club (1999, dir David Fincher) One of the best films of the 90s, this was a real eye-opener at the turn-of-the-millennium. Technically superb stuff by Fincher, dripping with cool dialogue ripped from Chuck Palahniuk's source novel, and just an enthralling storyline brilliantly performed by Brad Pitt and Edward Norton. Essential.

Final Destination (2000, dir James Wong) Okay, the sequels are lessening the impact, but I think people forget just how brilliant the idea behind the first Final Destination was. It may be an extended X-Files episode (written by X-Files staffers), but the story of Death killing teens who avoided "certain"-death -- thanks to a premonition -- is one of those fantastic ideas you can't believe nobody thought of years ago. Great stuff.

Final Destination 2 (2003, dir David R. Ellis) And, despite being something of a cash-in, the first sequel to Final Destination delivers a few fun developments and more elaborate death-scenes. Entertaining.

Finding Nemo (2003, dirs Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich) I love Pixar. I think most people do. I got Finding Nemo purely because I know I'd be obsessed with these films if I was 6 years old. That said, I'm not sure Nemo quite deserves the acclaim it got – as I much preferred the characters in Toy Story and the imagination of Monsters, Inc.

Freddy Vs Jason (2003, dir Ronny Yu) This is actually a pretty intelligent entry in the Freddy and Jason series, nicely directed by Yu. It all boils down to how much you enjoy either the Nightmare On Elm Street or Friday 13th franchises, but this cash-in on both horror icons has verve and production values long missing from either saga.

The Frighteners (1996, dir Peter Jackson) I became a rabid Jackson fan after '94s Heavenly Creatures, so lapped up his first foray with a massive budget. Michael J. Fox was a childhood icon of mine, and anything supernatural generally has my interest. I adored this film when it came out, although I can see its faults 10 years later. But, I still say it's one of Fox's best performances and very underrated in general. You can spot all kinds of echoes to Lord Of The Rings here, too. To prove my love: this DVD is my second purchase, because I upgraded my old vanilla disc with the superlative Director's Cut. 4 hours of extra material, and all of it essential viewing. Nirvana!

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996, dir Robert Rodriguez) I got this on VHS and loved it, so upgraded to DVD for the widescreen experience and extra features. I still really like it, but I have to admit it hasn’t held up particularly well in the intervening years. The first half is still reasonably solid, but the last section seems more awkward than I remembered back in '96. Still great fun, though – and the best grindhouse film Tarantino or Rodriguez have ever been involved in.

From Hell (2003, dirs Albert Hughes & Allen Hughes) I hoped this would be a decent translation of Alan Moore's thick, black-and-white, impeccably researched tome – but no. It's not an outright travesty, but the liberties taken are irritating (Depp's psychic?) and it's nowhere near as complex as Moore's book. But, the production design is wonderful and it's quite effective in a visual sense.

Galaxy Quest (1999, dir Dean Parisot) Hilarious sci-fi comedy for anyone who loves Star Trek and stuff of that type. A very funny parody that's never condescending to geeks, just affectionate and amusing throughout. A great premise (albeit stolen from Three Amigos – think about it...), and actually quite touching in a few scenes. Brilliant.

Gangs Of New York (2002, dir Martin Scorsese) Certainly not one of Scorsese's best, and it clearly suffered from a troublesome production, but Daniel Day-Lewis is magnetic here, and it's technically very accomplished. Definitely worth a look.

Ghostbusters (1984, dir Ivan Reitman) Oh, yes! I used to know this film inside-out as a kid. I re-watched my VHS copy maybe 3 or 4 times a week, and could recite the whole thing. A significant touchstone to my youth. The DVD release was an essential purchase, and the first time I ever saw Ghostbusters in widescreen with 5.1 surround sound. Pure bliss! And the extras are pretty cool, too. Oh, and that animated menu screen is yet to be bettered years after this disc's release.

Gladiator (2000, dir Ridley Scott) Scott's comeback film after a 90s dry-run of hits, and the film that launched Russell Crowe to super-stardom. It's a brilliantly filmed epic with a powerhouse performance by Crowe, that has yet to be bettered by the slew of imitators since (including Scott's own Kingdom Of Heaven). Why? I think Crowe really does deserve a lot of credit for making Maximus work for men and woman in the audience, and Scott's painterly eye for composition is always a pleasure. Mind you, I still think the ending could have been much better (indeed, budget restrictions had them hastily rewrite the grander ending planned). A modern classic.

Godzilla
(1998, dir Roland Emmerich) I was suckered by the hype for this. Big time. But I still say those teaser trailers were a work of pure genius. Pity none of the trailer's excitement translated into the actual film. At the time, I got a mild kick out of seeing Godzilla trash NYC, but this film has little else going for it. And, 10 years later, its faults are even more evident. A disappointment, but I only really got this on DVD because it was one of the early "essentials" for picture and sound quality. It remains my only DVD in those old-fashioned CD-style "jewel cases". God, weren't they awful?

Et voila! Not a bad shelf, that one. Nearly every film's worth owning, I think. Shelf #6 will be explored in the near-future...