Wednesday 9 April 2008

Deal of the century, people

Wednesday 9 April 2008
I like people-watching in HMV; seeing what "the kids" are looking at, discussing, and buying. Just today I noticed a man in his forties sneaking a look at a box-set of Ally McBeal -- in the same way a 14-year-old girl would examine a dildo in Ann Summers. Erm, I imagine.

Anyway, I've immediately digressed. Sorry. The point of this blog (yes, there is one) was to point out a fantastic deal at HMV (my one, anyway). So I'll share. They're selling a snazzy box-set of Battlestar Galactica (the mini-series, plus season 1, 2 and 3) for... wait for it... £45. It was reduced from £70 -- and it hasn’t been out long either, so it could be reduced further? Under the £30 barrier? We'll see.

I guess a half-price slash means it's not selling well, though, which is disappointing. Or maybe its RRP was never £70, but the lure of something being half-price is a good marketing ploy?

But, £45! That's £15 per season. £11 if you consider the mini-series its own entity. What a bargain! I'm actually annoyed I've seen all the episodes, and envy anyone who isn’t under BSG's spell yet, and buys this for a TV-marathon before season 4 starts next week. Can you watch the box-set in 6 days? Well yes, if you watch 9 episodes a day, starting now. That's 6 hours of your day taken up till next Tuesday, so take some time off work, 'kay? Or, y'know, just record season 4 and play catch-up at your leisure. Whatevs.

£45 is still a sizeable wedge of cash, yes -- but I haven't been this excited about a box-set price since... erm... the Alien & Predator box-set: all 4 Alien films, both Predator films, and the first crossover movie for £25. That's £3 each! Yeah, that's a good deal, too. Shame you don't get the Alien3 Director's Cut, but that's my inner-geek speaking. The Alien Quadrilogy box-set is about £20, as is Life On Mars now.

Right, I'd better stop nattering. Basically: Battlestar Galactica; back next week on Sky One, so buy this amazingly priced box-set if you haven't seen it already. It'll be the best £45 you'll ever spend, I promise. Well, unless you know a very good, clean prostitute* who lives nearby.


* I'm kidding about the prostitute. But maybe one has already bought this BSG box-set, and you can meet up for a "session" of another kind? Just a thought. Wear protection.