Thursday 22 January 2009

Lappy days are here again!

Thursday 22 January 2009


My new laptop arrived today, so I've spent a few hours getting it loaded up with the software I use most often. I got a Dell Studio 15 laptop (customized with 3GB RAM, but otherwise the standard spec.) If you're interested, I found a YouTube video that reviewed my laptop (embedded above).

I was tempted by snazzy add-ons like a biometric finger-print reader and a Blu-ray drive, but ultimately couldn't justify this added expense. I'm sure I've missed out on a better deal somewhere online (it's Sod's Law), but this laptop will cater to my needs very well and was within my budget (£450). So I'm happy. Simple things like 4x USB2, 1x Firewire, Wireless, 1x SD-card slot, and 1x HDMI will be a massive help to me, for various reasons.

Of course, now comes the annoying part: transferring all my documents and files from the old laptop, to this new one. Nightmare. And I'm sure a few things won't work with Windows Vista, either. But, generally, I'm back in business and glaciers aren't forming when I open Firefox, so it's all good. I particularly like a "Dell Dock" feature (programs accessible via icons in a top-centre toolbar, a la Mac.)

As a brief update of blogging-related things: Fringe reviews will follow their US premieres (on Thursdays)... Lost reviews will follow the UK pace (Mondays, starting this week)... likewise 24 (Tuesdays)... and Battlestar Galactica (Wednesdays)... I'm going to stick with HBO's Flight Of The Conchords for now (probably Tuesdays)... will watch ITV1's Demons to the bitter end, 'cos I'm a masochist (Sundays)... Pushing Daisies is back on ITV1 soon, so S2 will finally get reviewed... my Damages reviews are being stored up until BBC1 show it next month... and Virgin1 will finally show Chuck S2 on 7 April!*

Still knee-deep in Star Trek film reviews (been polishing Wrath Of Khan this week), half-way through The Wire S1 review (been too distracted recently), and will revive my reviews of The Prisoner very soon (to honour the late Patrick McGoohan, and wet appetites for the AMC/ITV remake in the summer)... so, lots of stuff for my new laptop to help me with!

* I've waited far, far too long for this, so I won't be hanging around for Virgin1 to show season 3 next year. If, indeed, Chuck is picked up for 09/10.