Monday 15 April 2013

MSN TV: ITV's ENDEAVOUR

Monday 15 April 2013

Today over at MSN TV: I've reviewed ITV's Inspector Morse prequel ENDEAVOUR, starring Shaun Evans as a younger version of the iconic detective, here working in the 1960s...
I have to question the creativity behind extending the Inspector Morse brand; there was a spin-off for loyal partner Lewis (2006-13) and now, a 1960s-set prequel following Morse as a young Detective Constable. I'd rather something new be created, although I understand the marketing sense in giving audiences something to which they already feel an attachment. Of the two Inspector Morse successors, I am more inclined to favour Endeavour because it stars the Morse character (memorably played by the great John Thaw from 1987 to 2000). Shaun Evans steps into the role with an agreeable sense of calm and a slightly alien aura; rather like Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock on valium.

Continue reading at MSN TV...