Wednesday 12 December 2007

Edith Bowman: Get off!

Wednesday 12 December 2007

I usually shy away from saying I actually "hate" a celebrity. I don't really know any personally. I just have reactions based on their on-screen performances. Of course, some celebs are paid to "be themselves" on TV/radio, so perhaps you can hate those ones in good conscience. I'm not sure. Are you ever yourself on camera?

I'll still give every celeb the benefit of the doubt -- until I meet them face-to-face (as if that's likely), but I can't imagine liking one particular presenter: Edith Bowman.

Edith is a Radio One "D.J", with her own show every weekday afternoon. And I hate her. Sorry, but I do. She gets right up my nose, good and proper.

Why? Oh, let me count the ways:

1. Her accent. I have no problem with Scottish accents (I had one myself up until the age of 8, actually), but an annoying person is somehow twice as irritating to English ears if they're Scottish.

2. Her fake enthusiasm. I know she has to pretend to be really interested in everything, but Edith just can't make it sound natural. Her fake interest in callers' lives, or reactions to news are so OTT it's incredibly patronizing. Just recently she practically orgasmed when she heard film reviewer James King would be talking about Home Alone next Friday. Yeah, calm down, love...

3. Her "catchphrases". I say catchphrases, but they're really just verbal tics she uses to hide dead-air or make it sound like she's really enthusiastic about something trivial (see above). A solid 5 minutes rarely pass without her screaming "Yesss!", "Nice one!" or "Get in!" I cringe every single time.

4. Her stupidity. Edith's not the sharpest tool in the box -- which is fine. I don't profess to know everything either, but when she has a movie-themed hour and regularly shows up her surface-level knowledge... that pisses me off.

5. "Eh". Yes, she's Queen Of The Eh. She says it about 4 times every sentence, on a good day. Fellow D.J Sara Cox used to have this habit, too... but she's improved massively. Can Edith go on the same course, please? I know this is very picky, but once you notice she can't string together more than 7 words without pausing for a long "ehhh" it seriously winds you up.

I know; I should just turn off the radio, or only listen to Radio 2 in the afternoons until Edith goes off-air. But, besides the fact my work radio only picks up Radio One with any success, I have a masochistic desire to listen to Edith Bowman and quietly fume. It gives me something to do. That's what's most maddening.

Annoyingly, I need to hate her every afternoon. The only way to stop it is for Radio One to move her to night-time– as they did her one-time co-presenter Colin Murray.

My fingers are crossed.